Thursday, April 2, 2015

Beans, Beans, Good For Your Heart

The more you eat...

I grew up eating pinto beans, but never really mastered cooking them. I think because I never had the forethought to soak them overnight. I would rather just open a can of Luck's. And, with age has come a certain aversion to the after effects of beans.

I had a bag of dry pintos and a sudden desire for them so I decided to try them in the pressure cooker.

Ahhh, the pressure cooker. I have very little experience with it. My mother used it often, but refused to instruct me in using it and I never pursued it. She was terrified of it exploding and instilled that fear in me. However, I faced my fear and gave it a try.

I rinsed and picked through the beans before placing them in the pot with a chopped onion, 2 tsps of salt, 1 tsp of cumin, and about 6 cups of water. I tightened the lid and turned the stove to high. Once it started cooking, I lowered the heat to medium low and let it cook for 50 minutes.

 photo IMG_20150331_180941_899_zpsok4wvynm.jpg

I missed the smokiness of ham or bacon, but the texture was great and the taste was good. Of course, I could have added some ham or bacon to the cooked beans once the the pressure released and let them simmer for a while and will do so the next time I get a craving.

Of course, I made a pan of cornbread and a pot of turnip greens to fully countrify the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment