Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Diet Food

I'm trying to lose weight, so I have been lax about posting. The things I long to make are not diet friendly. But when trying to come up with different things to eat, I was at a loss. Diet food can be boring and bland. A lot of salad and baked meat. Not that I mind salad, in fact, I love it. I eat it at least three times a week.

I had a can of salmon in the pantry and went looking for recipes for it. And I found this one at
SPANISH SALMON BAKE

 photo IMG_20150609_175648_799_zpsnrylztu3.jpg

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes

1 can (14.75 oz.) or 2 cans (7.5 oz. each) traditional pack Alaska Salmon OR 2 cans or pouches (6 to 7.1 oz. each) skinless, boneless salmon
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
¼ cup diced red bell pepper
2 cloves fresh minced garlic
1 can (2.5 oz.) sliced black olives, drained
1 cup frozen diced potatoes
½ cup diced tomato
8 large eggs, beaten well
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup white cheese, shredded or crumbled

Preheat oven to 400°F. Drain and flake salmon. Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Stir in onion, bell pepper, garlic, olives and potatoes. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until garlic is brown and potatoes are slightly cooked. Remove from heat; evenly spoon potato mixture into spray-coated 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle on salmon and tomatoes. Blend eggs, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper; pour over salmon. Bake 10 minutes; sprinkle on cheese. Continue baking 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through.



My favorite use of canned salmon is croquettes, but they are just not diet friendly, and this is. Plus, it is hearty and delicious. Though, I was a bit doubtful while it was cooking. It was a bit pungent.

 photo IMG_20150609_175758_953_zpszph5veru.jpg

I did not use frozen potatoes, but instead diced red potatoes and boiled them to soften them. I used Monteray Jack cheese.

And of course, I ate it with the mandatory salad.
 photo IMG_20150609_175746_662_zpsdiyn4w9v.jpg

Ready for the close-up?

 photo IMG_20150609_175808_197_zpslbuud5dl.jpg

The best part of this? THIS!

Makes 6 to 8 Servings.

Nutrients per serving: 302 calories, 19g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 57% calories from fat, 284mg cholesterol, 24g protein, 9g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 928mg sodium, 284mg calcium and 1.1g omega-3 fatty acids.

Potatoes, olives, eggs, cheese and only 302 calories per serving. YUM!





No comments:

Post a Comment