Monday, January 18, 2016

Crackers

It's a cold morning in January and you're bored, what do you do? I made crackers.

There was a chain restaurant in the 80s that I loved to go to, I think it was Darryl's, that served a basket of homemade crackers on the table instead of a bread basket. I loved those crackers.

And who knew that they were so easy to make? Not me. But, I discovered that a friend makes the crackers used in the communion at church, and she assured me they were easy.

I went online and found this recipe on Cooks.com.

Saltine Crackers


2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt*
2/3 c milk
2 Tbs cold butter
1/2 tsp baking soda

Combine the dry ingredients, cut in the butter, then stir in the milk. Form into a ball and knead briefly. Divide dough into several pieces and place on a floured board. Roll very thin and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pierce with a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

My first attempt was very tough, but then I discovered, as usual when a recipe fails, the fault lay with me. I used baking powder instead of baking soda. The second batch was excellent.

 photo IMG_0001_zpssu54bf6l.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment