Monday, March 27, 2017

Big, Tender, Fluffy and Delicios

I am NOT talking about myself. I have set for myself a goal to make a good, no great biscuit. The recipes that I have tried have been dense or flat or lacking in flavor. I decided to try again today, and pulled out my old reliable church cookbook from the 80s and found a recipe from an old family friend, Jewel Parks. Easily made, but messy, the end result on these biscuits is well worth the effort. I can honestly say that I have never made a better biscuit.

Buttermilk Biscuits

4 c self-rising flour
3/4 c shortening
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
2 cups buttermilk*

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Mix together dry ingredients. Work in shortening and add buttermilk. Place on a lightly floured board and knead a few times. Roll or pat out to 1/2" and cut with biscuit cutter. Place touching on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until done (tops are golden brown). Brush with melted butter.

*I used less buttermilk and it took about 10 minutes for the biscuits to get done. I made 22 biscuits.



Grab the butter and the jam and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment