Saturday, March 7, 2015

HOT DONUTS NOW!

I grew up in wonderful neighborhood in which everything was in walking distance. The pharmacy, hardware store, beauty and barber shops, grocery store, auto parts store, bank, doctor's offices, etc. And one of my favorites was the Krispy Kreme. That sign in the window would call to everyone in the neighborhood.

I have always been somewhat timid when it comes to yeast, so when I saw this recipe, I knew that I had to try it. It came from an online friend Janine, who got the recipe from a childhood neighbor. (Sorry, that's the best sourcing I can provide for the recipe.

Mrs Waser's Best Ever Donuts

4 1/4 cups sifted flour
4 teasp baking powder
1 1/4 teasp nutmeg
1/2 teasp salt
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 cup milk
1 teasp vanilla

Sift dry ingredients together. Beat together the eggs and sugar in your KA until light. Stir in butter, milk and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients, stirring only until smooth. Knead lightly and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut your donuts
Fry in 370 degrees hot oil, turning once during frying. Drain on paper towels.

She rolls these in sifted powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar or a glaze, recipe below.

Donut Glaze
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Milk to make it runny
.
Boil until thickened. Add 1 teasp vanilla and dip the doughnuts while the glaze is still warm.
If it should cool and thicken, just reheat the glaze.

I had trouble controlling the heat of the oil and had to remove the pot from the heat a couple of times, but that gave me time to roll them in the cinnamon sugar.


Now, if you care, these have approx 180 calories each and approx 25 grams of carbohydrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment